LMS Integration (LTI)
MyOpenMath uses the industry-standard Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) standard to integrate with Learning Management Systems (LMSs). MyOpenMath supports LTI 1.1, using college-wide or course-level configurations, and LTI 1.3 using college-wide configuration.
For instructors wanting to try out integration, instructions are provided inside the system for setting up a course-level LTI 1.1 integration, where the LMS allows it. These instructions can be found by going to Course Items: Export. You can also read the LTI 1.1 integration instructions. If you want a college-wide LTI 1.1 key and secret, email email@example.com, but for college-wide configurations, LTI 1.3 is recommended.
The information below will explain how to set up an LTI 1.3 connection.
Setting up an LTI 1.3 connection
Be forewarned: If instructors are currently using an LTI 1.1 course-level connection, the LTI 1.3 connection may override it, causing problems. For this reason, it's best to install LTI 1.3 after students are done with the previous term, and before teachers have started setting up their courses for the next term.
Note that to actually use an LTI connection, the teacher will need an active MyOpenMath instructor account
To enable LTI 1.3 in a Canvas instance, the site administrator should:
- Go to Admin, then Developer Keys, click +Developer Key, then select +LTI Key
- For Redirect URIs, enter: https://www.myopenmath.com/lti/launch.php
- Set Configure Method: Enter URL
- Enter JSON URL: https://www.myopenmath.com/lti/canvasconfig.php
- After submitting, turn the State ON
- Copy the numeric value shown in the Details column. This is the Client ID. (You do not need to click the Show Key button)
- Go to Admin, then Settings, then Apps, and click View App Configurations
- Click +App
- For Configuration Type, select By Client ID. Paste in the Client ID you copied down above, and hit Submit.
To enable LTI 1.3 in a BlackBoard instance, the site administrator should:
- Go to Admin, then Integrations: LTI Tool Providers
- Click Register LTI 1.3/Advantage Tool
- Enter the Client ID: 079fe9ba-0303-49f1-952f-a346dfa450c7
- On the tool status page, make sure the tool is Approved.
- Also ensure User Fields to Send includes Name and Role in Course, and set Allow grade service access and Allow Membership Service Access to Yes.
If you want to enable deep linking, to allow easy addition of new items in Blackboard:
- Find the tool and using the dropdown select Manage Placements.
- Click Create Placement
- Give it a label, and make it available
- Set the type to Deep Linking content tool, and disable the Allow student access
- Enter the Tool Provider URL: https://www.myopenmath.com/lti/launch.php
Moodle, D2L Brightspace, and others
The site administrator should meet with an instructor with a MyOpenMath account. The instructor should visit the LTI 1.3 platform registration page, select your LMS from the list, and send you the instructions provided. You will then need to provide back to the instructor values provided by the LMS so they can be registered with MyOpenMath.